BRINGING LANDERBRÄU BEER FROM THE NETHERLANDS TO VIETNAM
VIETNAMESE CONSUMERS’ NEW TASTE: THE STORY OF LANDERBRÄU BEER
The market landscape
It was estimated that each Vietnamese person drank an average of 43 liters of beer per year, making the country the third-largest per capita consumer in Asia. This saw it standing just behind China and Japan and secured Vietnam a place in the top 15 beer-consuming nations in 2018. The Southeast Asian country boasts a populous potential consumer pool with almost 100 million potential drinkers and a social culture that gives plenty of room for beer consumption and potential growth. Thus, to beverage manufacturers, the country is a veritable promised land for them. Moreover, the recent shift in interest towards foreign beer brands in Vietnam has created ample opportunities for international brewers. For many EU breweries, who have long been touted for their high-quality alcoholic drink, this is not an exception. Many have tried and succeeded, like Heineken or Carlsberg, as they are now amongst the biggest holders of the Vietnamese beer market’s share along with domestic producers like Hanoi Beer Alcohol and Beverage Joint Stock Corp (Habeco) or the Saigon Alcohol Beer and Beverage Joint Stock Corporation (Sabeco), owner of the Saigon Export beer, a popular drink in the US and UK.
However, introducing a new brew to the Vietnamese market is not all beer and skittles. There are several hindrances and obstacles that beer brewers must overcome if they are to make their names known to Vietnamese drinkers. Amongst them, fierce competition proves to be the most challenging ordeal. The Vietnamese beer market is currently the competition between four giants, making it frustrating for new entrants to gain their ways into the Vietnamese market, especially for smaller-sized, non-corporate breweries.
However, we proved this wrong when we helped Royal Swinkels Family Brewers bring their Landerbräu lines into the Vietnamese market.
About Royal Swinkels Family Brewers and Landerbräu beer:
Royal Swinkels Family Brewers (formerly Bavaria Brewery) is a family business from North Brabant in the Netherlands active in the beer, soft drink, and malt sectors.
Landerbräu means “Beer of the country,” representing the brewing culture dating over 300 years of the Royal Swinkels Family Brewers Family. The brand consists of multiple product lines: Imported Landerbräu Beer: Landerbräu Premium Beer, Landerbräu Weissbeer Beer, Landerbräu Radler Beer, Landerbräu Strong Beer and Landerbräu Super Strong Beer. The beer is produced from carefully selected raw materials and canned directly in the Netherlands. The Landerbräu members are well-known thanks to their bottom fermentation method that creates a distinctive, delicious flavor, pure yellow beer mixed with slightly yeast flavored grains and sweet fruit.
The journey to the East of Landerbräu
Although it has been a well-known brewery that is active in a wide range of countries, Royal Swinkels Family Brewers was still a stranger to Vietnamese consumers. Compared to the four giants reigning in the Vietnamese beer market, Royal Swinkels Family Brewers cannot compete with them squarely to win the market share.
VIEC spent a large part of 2018 and early 2019 researching the Vietnamese market and found out there were always opportunities for Landerbräu to approach the Vietnam beer market successfully. Along with the shifting interests towards international brands came the increasing popularity of craft or non-industrial beer from Vietnamese consumers, and this opened new opportunities to Landerbräu. And this was also what VIEC saw when setting the entry strategy.
Moreover, VIEC has meticulously researched Landerbräu beers and their taste to see if they fit Vietnamese consumers’ expectations and their preferences. All of these have been extremely helpful for the successful introduction of the Landerbräu products in mid-2019.
Despite being deemed a challenging task at first, Royal Swinkels Family Brewers is now on course to obtain the popularity of Vietnamese consumers for Landerbräu, even as the COVID-19 impeded the country’s consumption. Since its entry into the Vietnamese market in 2019, Lander bräu has been well greeted by the consumers, with a steady climb in the import volume, sales, and the number of retailers. The brand’s main distributor in Vietnam, BizWin, now has its distribution network spread out in all of the biggest cities in Vietnam, such as Hanoi, Haiphong, Danang, Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon).
Kickstart your products’ journey to Vietnam now and Think BIGGER with VIEC
- Unlike importers and exporters, we are your direct link to your clients and act on both parties’ behalf. We address any issue within your products’ movement from the factories to end-users. Which means there is less added markup on your product’s selling price, increasing your products’ accessibility to a wider audience, while your communication efforts are at ease with us helping you handle any inquiries.
- We are committed to helping you introduce your products to the Vietnamese market and set up your distribution system in Vietnam. With our extensive network of distribution partners, we guarantee to maintain a steady output for your product in the Vietnamese market.
- We are aware of the challenges that small and medium-sized producers face when entering a new market that is a multinational corporations’ playground like Vietnam, and competing with them. But, rest assured we will help you find a way to start gaining your market shares and successfully make a name for yourself in the Vietnamese market.
- And not just that, with the EVFTA in action, EU manufacturers are open to even more opportunities to export products to not just Vietnam, but also the neighboring countries, with Vietnam being the landing ground and depot for your products in Southeast Asia.
- More opportunities to grow are waiting for you if you dare to think bigger and to take them. And VIEC can help you realize them. That’s why we say: “Think BIGGER with VIEC!”
- Learn more about our past projects.
For any inquiries, ask us HERE. Zalo or Whatsapp us: +31642049998